Tuesday, August 18, 2009

So Proud of My First Tutorial



I've seen these divided boxes on various sites and even some blogs and have thought they were the cutest thing since my kids' rosy cheeks on a snowy day. I received a gift from a girlfriend two weeks ago that pretty much looked like one of those divided card boxes, although mine was from Bath & Body Works and had pretty smelly stuff in it.

I decided to take the packaging apart and see what I could do with it. It had four vertical slots and one horizontal slot. Not really something you could put cards into, so I improvised and with a little creative math and a pinch of patience this is what I came up with.


The box closed with ribbon band


The inside with the cards, gift cards and stamps

...the how to's on making the divider...




Here's my template for those of you that like to just go off of a template versus step by step directions :)

In case the dimensions are hard to read-
Along the top, left to right- 6" and 2"
Down the left side, top to bottom- 4-5/8", 1", 1", 3-5/8"
Along the bottom, left to right- 3-5/8", 1", 1", 2-3/8"


Step 1:
Cut a piece of cardstock to 8" x 10-1/4"
With the 8" side at the top, measure to the 6" line at the top and cut down to the 5-5/8" line on the track



Step 2:
Rotate your cardstock a 1/4 turn to the left.
Measure to the 5-5/8" line at the top and cut down to the 2" line on the track
Basically, you're cutting off your scrap piece.


This is what you should have right now



Step 3:
With the 10-1/4" side at the bottom edge, score at 4-5/8"



Step 4:
Flip your cardstock over and place it against the top edge of the trimmer
Score at 5-5/8"
If you look at the picture you'll note that your score line at this step will meet up with the edge of the piece you previously cut off



Step 5:
Flip your cardstock over again and place it against the bottom edge of the trimmer
Line the two previous score lines at 2" and 1" and score up to the 8-5/8" line on the track
***Don't move your cardstock- you'll need it to be here for the next step***

Note- the reason I'm flipping the cardstock is so that the score lines will fold crisper with each mountain and valley fold


Step 6:
From the 8-5/8" line on the track that you just scored to, you'll now need to cut from there to 6-1/4"
Don't cut clear to the end. You'll need that little tab later



Step 7:
With a pair of scissors, simply cut the 1" line between the last cut line and score line. I've given you a picture to hopefully clarify what my brain seems to be preventing me from doing.....

You should have something that looks like this. The little tab under the scissors will be needed for later



Step 8:
With the shorter edge at the top of the trimmer, measure to the 3-3/8" line at the top and score up to the first score line



Step 9:
Flip your cardstock and measure to the 4-5/8" line at the top and score down to the first score line



Step 10:
Flip your cardstock over...it's the LAST time, I promise LOL...measure to the 5-5/8" line and score up to the first score line. I blundered on my picture here. The cardstock should be at the top of the trimmer to show the 5-5/8" mark- sorry about that.



Step 11:
You should have something that looks like this.



Step 12:
Where I put the tape



Step 13:
The little tab. Here's where I placed my adhesive. After you pull off the backing, you will tuck the tab under the top. The tab basically just secures the whole unit.





...now for the box bottom and lid
both of these are basically the same- just the score lines are slightly different

Step 1:
You'll need two pieces of cardstock- go for the heavier weight cardstock
Cut them to 9-5/8" x 12"

Box Bottom-
Score all sides at 3/4" and 1-3/4"

Box Top-
Score all sides at 3/4" and 1-11/16"- this makes it just a smidgen bigger, without it being too big

the box bottom all scored- the top will look the same


Step 2:
Cut the corners out as shown

the box bottom cut and folded


Step 3:
The box top completely assembled



Simply place the divider inside the box bottom and finish with the box top. Regular size (4-1/4" x 5-1/2") cards and 3-1/4" square notecards fit beautifully with a place for postage stamps or small pens in the other space. But you could ALWAYS fill this with candies too :)




I hope you try this...it makes an adorable gift!









1 comment:

  1. the pics aren't showing up on my computer :( I hope it's just a glitch on my computer! I will check from my home computer tonight! I love tutorials!
    - Elizabeth
    Co-Owner
    www.missimagination.com

    ReplyDelete